8 October 2018
Lemon Meringue Macarons
BY FLORENT RETHOUZE - EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF
INGREDIENTS- 250g Almond Meal
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 3 x Egg Whites
- 270g Sugar
- 75ml Water
- Yellow Food Colouring
- Poppy Seeds
METHODS1. Using a fine sieve, sift the icing sugar and almond meal until very fine.
2. Bring water and sugar to 120 degrees in a saucepan.
3. Using a mixer, whisk 1 egg white.
4. Once it starts to form soft peaks, slowly pour over the sugar mixture.
5. After 3 – 4 minutes, add the remaining egg whites and food colouring. Mix for 1 minute. This will form your meringue.
6. Remove the whisk and with a spatula mix the almond meal/icing sugar mix in the meringue for a couple of minutes, until you get a smooth but not runny consistency.
7. Pipe the macarons on a tray, sprinkle with poppy seeds and allow to dry for 1 hour at room temperature.
8. Bake at 130 degrees for 15 minutes.
INGREDIENTS- 225ml Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 150g Sugar
- 3 x Whole Eggs
- 1 x Egg Yolk
- 15g x Corn Flour
- 4g x Gelatin
- 120g x Butter
METHOD1. In a saucepan, add the lemon juice, zest and sugar. Warm the mixture until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Using a mixer, whisk the eggs and the yolk with the corn flour. Add this to the lemon juice mix saucepan and cook until it reaches 80 degrees or until small bubbles appear.
3. Add the gelatin to the mix and strain through a fine sieve.
4. Allow to cool down at room temperature and when it reaches 40 degrees, add the butter and mix with a hand blender.
5. Once curd has been made, cool in refrigerator.
INGREDIENTS- 200g Sugar
- 1x Egg White
- 60g Water
METHOD1. Bring water and sugar to 120 degrees in a saucepan.
2. Using a mixer, whisk 1 egg white.
3. Once it starts to form soft peaks, slowly pour over the sugar mixture.
4. Allow to cool.
ASSEMBLING:1. Pair up the macaron shells.
2. Pipe the Italian meringue on the inside of 50% of the macarons leaving a hole in the middle.
3. Using a blow torch, toast the meringue.
4. Pipe the lemon curd in the middle of the Italian meringue.
5. Softly close each macaron by matching it to its pair.
6. Keep refrigerated for 24 hours in the fridge in an airtight container before eating
* You can also freeze them after keeping them in the fridge for 24 hours.